Shirley is an award-winning author of over 12 books on fitness and wellness, a media spokesperson, magazine columnist, international lecturer, and respected multi-platform communicator. She promotes physical, mental, and spiritual health and well-being for people of all ages and abilities by providing motivating and easy to use self-care products and services that are available worldwide. Her books are translated into 6 languages and have sold over 250,000 copies in the U.S. She’s appeared on TV and radio worldwide and was a featured trainer on season 7 of America’s Next Top Model.
She served as a health and wellness educator, program developer, and fitness trainer at the Health Improvement Program at the Stanford Prevention Research Center at Stanford University School of Medicine from 1992 to 2006. She also served as Associate Director of the Health Promotion Resource Center. A Eurasian-American with a mother from Japan and father from New England, she received her B.A. with honors in American Studies from Stanford University, her M.A. in Regional Studies – East Asia from Harvard University, and her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center. She practiced law in New York City and Washington, D.C. and was also licensed in California. After recovering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, she dedicated herself to health promotion.
She is a certified yoga and Pilates trainer, wellness coach, Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program instructor, an American College of Sports Medicine certified health fitness specialist, National Strength & Conditioning Association certified personal trainer, and an American Council on Exercise certified group fitness instructor. She lives in Singer Island, Florida and Zurich, Switzerland.
Shirley’s Experience – CV:
- Award-winning international author, spokesperson, lecturer, and multi-platform wellness communicator.
- Internationally-recognized Eurasian-American health and fitness leader known for her ability to reach people of all abilities and ages as an inspirational educator, program creator and provider.
- Highly trained and experienced media go-to integrative health & fitness content expert with strong media relationships.
- Program development and management expert, and multimedia communications authority.
- Certified yoga instructor, Wellcoaches® certified wellness coach, certified Pilates trainer, trained Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program instructor, American College of Sports Medicine certified health fitness specialist, National Strength & Conditioning Association certified personal trainer; American Council on Exercise certified group fitness instructor, YMCA of the USA Certified Faculty Trainer.
- Based at Stanford Prevention Research Center at Stanford University School of Medicine, 1992-2006.
- Over 15 years of work in health and wellness development, promotion, and advocacy to diverse audiences.
- Experience includes yoga instructor, mind-body fitness instructor and trainer, health educator, health and wellness program director and manager, communications director, author, and spokesperson.
- Areas of interest and expertise include the mind-body-spirit connection, public fitness and health promotion, lifestyle and wellness awareness advocacy, and related program and policy development.
- Demonstrated expert managerial and communications skills, with specific expertise in developing health, sports, fitness, and wellness programs and policies, motivating exercisers and creating wellness at work, serving as public spokesperson, lecturing and leading retreats and classes, building coalitions and advocating for positive change.
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
M.A., Regional Studies-East Asia, Harvard University
B.A. with honors, American Studies, Stanford University
SIGNIFICANT AWARDS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- 2008 Fitness Instructor of the Year, IDEA Health & Fitness Association
- 2006 Featured Trainer on season 7 of America’s Next Top Model
- 2005 Fitness Instructor of the Year, IDEA Health & Fitness Association, Top 3 Finalist
- 2005 American Council on Exercise Group Fitness Instructor Achievement Award, Top 3 Finalist
- 2003 APEX Awards for Publication Excellence, Health, Medical & Technical Writing
- 2001 Author of the Year, Australian Fitness Network
- 1999 APEX Awards for Publication Excellence
SELECT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Media Spokesperson 2004-Present
IDEA HEALTH & FITNESS ASSOCIATION, AMERICAN COUNCIL ON EXERCISE
- Health, Fitness, and Wellness Promotion: Developed, promoted, publicized, recommended, and advocated health, fitness, and wellness programs, policies, and solutions via diverse media platforms to national audiences, including:
- Books: Over 14 written.
- Print Journalism: Contributing editor, IDEA Fitness Journal; Monthly columnist, Mind-Body-Spirit News; articles and interviews in USA Today, LA Times, The Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Woman’s World, Woman’s Day, Redbook, Reader’s Digest, Better Homes & Gardens, Family Circle, Real Simple, SELF, Fitness, Shape, Health, Energy, Entrepreneur, Marketwatch, The Bottom Line, San Jose Mercury News, San Francisco Chronicle
- Online Journalism: CNN.com, ABC.com, MSNBC.com, Forbes.com, WebMD.com, Marketwatch.com, WeightWatchers.com, RealSimple.com, Shape.com
- Speeches: The Business Development Board, Palm Beach County; The City of West Palm Beach, Grand Opening, new library and city center; IDEA Health & Fitness Association, World Fitness IDEA Convention.
- Awards: Named 2008 Fitness Instructor of the Year by IDEA Health & Fitness Association, a professional trade organization with over 24,000 members worldwide Associate Director, Health Educator, Fitness Instructor 1992-2006
STANFORD UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
STANFORD PREVENTION RESEARCH CENTER
HEALTH PROMOTION RESOURCE CENTER
HEALTH IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
- Health Education & Fitness Program and Product Development: Created and executed innovative Stanford Executive Program and Stanford Health Improvement Program fitness and wellness courses for faculty, staff, students, foreign dignitaries and CEOs of leading global corporations. Designed and led popular community health education workshops for Stanford University Healthy Living Program and Stanford University Alumni wellness retreats. Marketed and distributed health promotion products derived from research. Developed, wrote and edited print, Internet, and video health education materials for domestic and international release. Managed budget, supervised staff, negotiated copyright and licensing agreements.
Corporate Communications Director 2001
- Corporate Communications, Public and Investor Relations Management: Reported directly to CEO. Served as Spokesperson. Managed all aspects of internal and external corporate communications, branding, public relations and investor relations. Wrote press releases, created press kits, interacted with multiple audiences including media, financial analysts, investors and industry experts. Wrote, edited and produced newsletter. Managed graphic design firm. Submitted contributed articles to medical and health magazines and trade journals.
Senior Writer 2000-2001
WELLCHECK.COM, A CHOLESTECH COMPANY
- Consumer Health Management Website Development: Project manager for start up production, writing and editing content for consumer health management web site. Developed style guide and editorial policies.Strategized to create targeted content and to develop story line-up. Interviewed experts, researched and wrote features and wrote weekly health hints sent to website members.
Association Group Exercise Coordinator 1995-1999
PALO ALTO FAMILY YMCA
- Health and Wellness Program Direction and Management: Forecast & managed $100,000+ budget for nonprofit community-based organization. Increased staff by 200% and tripled existing program offerings Supervised over 70 part time personnel. Created management systems, incentive program & compliance procedures. Directed program of over 100 weekly classes serving over 12,000 members with emphasis on health and fitness promotion, quality control & customer service. Created and managed recruitment and training program throughout Association of four branches with over 28,000 members.
Research Administrator/Financial Manager 1994-1995
STANFORD UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER
DIVISION OF CARDIOVASCULAR MEDICINE
- Cardiovascular Medicine Program and Policy Management: Created reporting systems to forecast and manage 200+ university accounts, including sponsored projects, gifts, income and operating funds approximating $15 million annually. Negotiated funding and payment issues. Developed and implemented policies to ensure compliance with University and Government regulations. Represented Division as liaison with University, Hospital, Corporate, Institutional and Government personnel. Supervised and trained three full-time and multiple part-time student accounting assistants.
STANFORD UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, DEPARTMENT OF CELL BIOLOGY
- Cell Biology Program Management and Administration: Improved financial reporting, grants management and accounting procedures. Created systems to manage fellowship programs. Concurrent grad student in Health Education Psychology program at Stanford University School of Education.
- IDEA Health & Fitness Association Mind-Body Spokesperson (2004 – present).
- American Council on Exercise Spokesperson (2005 – present): USA Today, LA Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Woman’s World, Woman’s Day, Redbook, Better Homes & Gardens, Family Circle, Real Simple, Fitness, Shape, Health, Energy, Entrepreneur, The Bottom Line, San Jose Mercury News, San Francisco Chronicle, etc. circulation-tens of millions to diverse audiences from women, families to business professionals.
- CNN.com, ABC.com, MSNBC.com, Forbes.com, WebMD.com, Marketwatch.com, WeightWatchers.com, RealSimple.com, Shape.com and numerous other top websites worldwide
- Television appearances in USA, New Zealand, Taiwan; Featured Trainer on America’s Next Top Model on the CB Network with over 5 million viewers worldwide.
- Radio interviews in USA, Australia, New Zealand.
- Strong social media presence: Twitter (http://twitter.com/shirleyarcher); LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/in/shirleyarcher); Wellness blog (http://shirleyarcher.wordpress.com/)
(Books published in English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese)
- 250,000+ copies sold in U.S.
SELECT CONSUMER BOOKS
- 101 Ways to Lower Your Cholesterol (Adams Media 2009)
- Fitness Nine to Five: Easy Exercises for the Working Week (Chronicle Books 2006)
- Weight Training for Dummies, 3rd edition, co-author (Wiley Publishing 2006)
- The Walking Deck: 50 Ways to Walk Yourself Healthy (Chronicle Books 2005)
- The Everything® Low Cholesterol Book (Adams Media Corporation 2004)
- Pilates Fusion: Well Being for Body, Mind & Spirit (Chronicle Books 2004)
- The Strength & Toning Deck (Chronicle Books 2004)
- The Pilates Deck (Chronicle Books 2003)
- The Everything® Weight Training Book (Adams Media Corporation 2002)
- Co-author, ACSM’s Group Exercise (Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins 2011 IN PRESS)
- Co-author, ACSM’s Resource for Personal Trainers, 2nd ed (Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins 2006)
- Pilates Mat Training: A Guide for Fitness Professionals from ACE (ACE 2004)
- Co-author, YMCA Water Fitness for Health (Human Kinetics,1999)
- Yoga Programs in YMCAs: a Resource Guide, 2nd ed (YMCA of the USA 2005)
- Mind Body Programs: YMCA of the USA Technical Assistance Manual (YMCA of the USA 2002)
- Contributing Editor: IDEA Fitness Journal; Monthly Columnist: “Mind-Body-Spirit News”
- Contributing Writer: IDEA Fitness Journal, ACE Certified News, American Fitness, FitPro, more
- 300+ Contributed articles to a variety of publications in US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand
- Presentations in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Germany, and Russia, in addition to the United States, leading the development of the fitness industry worldwide and broadening its scope to serve more population groups.
- Mind-body-spirit connection
- Role of fitness in health
- Weight management Strength & flexibility Training
- Inspiring the inactive to fitness
- Older adult physical activity
- Walking for wellness; Meditation Walking
- Work site wellness
- CEC Provider for:
- American Council on Exercise
- American Fitness & Aerobics Association of America
- Aquatic Exercise Association
- National Strength & Conditioning Association
- YMCA of the USA
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- American College of Sports Medicine, certified health fitness specialist
- American Council on Exercise, certified fitness instructor
- American Society of Journalists & Authors
- American Health Care Journalists
- Ananda Yoga, certified Yoga Instructor
- Center for Mind-Body Medicine Professional Training Program
- IDEA Health & Fitness Association
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction instructor, qualified to teach the 8-week Stress Reduction Program as created by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, at the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School
- National Speakers Association
- National Strength & Conditioning Association, certified personal trainer
- Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre, certified Yoga Siromani
- Strong, Stretched & Centered Mind-Body Fitness Training Institute, certified instructor
- Wellcoaches® certified Wellness Coach