Natural Healthy Holiday Beauty Tips
You want to look your best for all those holiday gatherings. But, perhaps you’re concerned with what you’ve heard about toxins in self-care products.
The following beauty tips are 100% natural with no risk of harm. In addition to these tips, most importantly, remember to laugh (even at yourself, when you catch yourself stressing out), smile more and savor the good in each moment. Happiness is the best beauty elixir of them all!
1. Stay hydrated. Drink, drink, drink water daily; it’s critical to all bodily functions, especially digestion and elimination (think de-tox). When you’re well hydrated, your skin is moist and clear. You sleep more soundly; you avoid over-eating. I use an app-based water bottle to track my daily intake. Find a method that works for you and drink up.
2. Get your sleep and take power naps. When you’re fully rested, your skin looks great. No amount of make-up hides exhaustion. With good sleep, you have more energy, are unlikely to overeat, are happier and less prone to overwhelm. If you can’t get 7-8 hours due to your party schedule, squeeze in power naps between 10 to 25 minutes. To boost skin benefits, pop on a face or eye mask for extra hydration while you rest (exfoliate regularly so your skin can absorb moisturizers). Aim for longer sleep on non-party nights to make up lost slumber.
3. Use a humidifier. Cold winter weather and heated indoor air can zap moisture out of your skin. Use a humidifier, especially in your bedroom and office, to replace moisture in the air. Add essential oils for extra self-care. Not only will your skin retain a healthy glow, this also reduces chances of getting colds and flu. Aim for humidity levels of 40% to 60%. Many sensors and home apps will provide you humidity level readings.
4. Keep self-care on your schedule. Part of holiday stress is from disruption of your normal routine. Do not sacrifice self-care. Make time for short meditation (even 10 minutes can help), enjoy a warm evening bath (add oils so it moisturizes your skin), self-massage with scented oils on your body (esp hands, feet, knees and elbows), watch favorite comedys and laugh, or meet up with friends for holiday manicures or spa treatments. This will lower stress and when you’re relaxed, you’re beautiful!
5. Practice deep paced breathing exercises. If you’re feeling frazzled, at the least, practice paced deep breathing exercises. This is an instant refresher that gives you a healthier, happier glow. Your goal is 5-6 complete breath cycles in one minute. A breath cycle is one inhalation and exhalation. Ideally, you will inhale for 6 seconds and exhale for six seconds, but you may need to work up to this. Aim for a 10-minute practice for full benefits. My video below will guide you through it. (if you’re only interested in the exercise, start at 1:00)
6. Avoid high-sodium and high-carbohydrate processed foods 24 hours before an event. You may be trying to eat light between events and reach for prepared soup broth. Beware: packaged foods can be sodium landmines. Salty foods and ‘white’ carbs like white pasta or breads cause water retention. For every glycogen gram stored in muscles (from carbs), your body retains 2.7 grams water. Eat clean. Drink lots of water. If you’re dehydrated (and you can be bloated and dehydrated), your body holds water, but if you drink enough, it releases excess water. It’s counter-intuitive, but it works.
7. Do sink push-ups and triceps dips before wearing your sleeveless dress. These toning exercises increase circulation resulting in a "pump” in your muscles that give your chest and arms a more defined and toned look. This lasts a few hours after exercise. Click here for exercise instructions.
Watch the video below to learn a quick and easy breathing exercise to refresh and restore yourself.
Enjoy A Mindful Moment
MINDFUL MOMENTS PODCAST EPISODE 1: BREATH AWARENESS MEDITATION
Breath awareness is the cornerstone of connecting mind and body, being present and calming the nervous system for inner peace, balance and relaxation. This short 2-minute guided meditation introduces you to how to do a breathing meditation.
Product Picks That You Will Love
Pilates Fusion: well-Being for body, mind & Spirit | BY SHIRLEY ARCHER
Stretching, breathing and mat based exercises with meditative visualizations to awaken the spirit - melding the best of Pilates with Eastern wisdom.