5 tips for staying SLIM during the holidays—stop holiday pounds
Holidays are here: one of the the season's biggest pitfalls- overeating. This time of year is notorious for unwanted weight gain (studies show people typically gain about 1.5 pounds). Holiday weight gain research shows that people who struggle to manage weight tend to gain more; most people do not lose this weight, which can add up over the years. But, you can enjoy favorite seasonal traditions (some of which DO involve meals). It's about increasing awareness and finding balance between enjoying the holidays, without overindulging or completely abandoning your health and fitness routines.
5 PROVEN tips TO stop HOLIDAY WEIGHT GAIN:
1. Eat something light and drink a full glass of water before any holiday feast. Avoid being famished as that triggers overeating.
2. Graze and eat slowly. It’s okay to enjoy holiday treats, but instead of taking large portions, enjoy a sampler plate. Eat slowly and pace yourself. With drinks, enjoy a glass of water between each alcoholic beverage. Not only will this help you drink less, it also ensures that you won’t become dehydrated, as alcohol can be a diuretic.
3. Eat mindfully. Taste, smell, experience the flavors, textures and dimensions of every bite. Explore the flavors and share what you’re experiencing with others. Savor all the holiday treats. Practice the Mindful Awareness Exercise to heighten all your senses for fuller enjoyment.
4. Learn how to politely say no to more. No one wants to offend a hospitable host. At the same time, you don’t want to overeat. Practice what you will say to express your appreciation for the abundance of tasty treats, but stick firm to your own personal limits and eat each bite with intention.
5. Know your triggers for overeating. We each have triggers for overeating behaviors that may come from the context or be rooted in emotional memories. If you prepare beforehand, you can avoid overeating triggers at holidays.
Start the New Year without feeling like you need to "make up" for the holidays or shed newly gained holiday weight. Use these scientifically proven tips and a video from my Happy Healthy Holidays Playlist for how to stay slim during holidays. The key is to raise awareness of what you're eating, pay attention and prepare for what stimulates overeating.
From the HappY, Healthy Holidays Playlist:
There will be more helpful ideas and videos throughout the month related to the holidays. Videos include: 10 Tips to Avoid Holiday Stress, How to Stay Fit During the Holidays, How to Boost Holiday Joy and a Guided Meditation to Increase Holiday Spirit. Come back to the "How to Stay Slim at Holidays" tips any time you need to check in with your awareness around eating. If you're ready to jump start your goals for the new year, you'll find my Goal Setting For Success workbook really helpful as you make a plan. You can download your free copy here.
How are YOU being mindful and staying healthy and happy this holiday season? Please leave your thoughts in comments below and, if you learned something useful, please share this post with friends.